- excerpts from introduction of Daryl at our Nomination Meeting in Tweed, November 26, 2016
Daryl is best known for his fairness. That's how he earned cross-party respect in Ottawa. He worked with all sides to get things done — in the House, in Committee and behind-the-scenes.
Daryl was elected by fellow MPs as the Canadian President of the Global Organization of Parliamentarians Against Corruption. GOPAC advises emerging democracies on how to eliminate corruption and create public trust. This is something that Ontario needs — NOW!
Daryl's experience will be important in bringing fiscal and moral integrity back to Ontario.
His service on the Finance Committee, Chairing of the Treasury Board Advisory Caucus, and important role as Chair of the Public Safety and National Security Committee will matter in Toronto. And here at home.
Daryl worked closely with late Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and served as Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee of Public Accounts and Goverment Estimates. These were critical roles as the government successfully steered Canada through the recession years and back to growth with a balanced budget.
Ontario will need this expertise.
Ontario is in a mess. In the coming years we will need experienced and responsible leadership at Queen's Park.
Daryl is a big picture guy. He knows our communities and how to listen to them. North, West, East and South. He is principled, experienced, and he cares.
Importantly, Daryl knows it's a 24/7 job. He and Carol Ann know the responsibilities involved, and recognize that it's a team commitment.
- excerpt from Daryl's Nomination Meeting speech
Real work will be needed to bring Ontario back from the brink.
Clearly, we're in trouble.
Here in rural Ontario we pay unfair and ridiculous rates for power.
We see a government favour cities over farmers, foresters and fishers. We see tourism operators coping with lost business, lost jobs, and lost futures due to government policies.
Ontario, Ours to Recover will be more than a slogan after the 2018 election. It will be hard work, with all hands on deck. Long hours in committee, in the Legislature, and away from home.
I know what hard work means and am proud of the role I played in helping Canada power out of the 2008-2009 recession.
I know Hastings-Lennox and Addington.
- We need cellphone coverage for 100% of this riding — it's an essential service, especially in emergencies. I will fight for that.
- We need all Ontarians to pay the same for hydro. City folks pay less and use more, while rural customers use less and pay more. We work hard. We shouldn't be penalized for where we live.
- We need natural gas pipelines to serve our towns and villages.
- We need to protect and promote our world-class tourism.
- We need to end downloading of taxes, and reduce policing costs.
- We have energy-intensive industries with thousands of jobs now at risk — in Strathcona, Napanee and Belleville. We need to protect those jobs and the families they support.
Ontario deserves better. Together, we'll make it happen!